Sunday, December 25, 2011

Chef Frustrations: German-inspired Noche Buena

Hi Everyone!  Merry Christmas!  Hope you had a great time spending the holidays with your loved ones.


For noche buena this year, my family and I opted to have a different take on it.  No spaghetti, chicken, barbecue, or other noche buena favorites (except for ham of course!).  


I was inspired by the German platter that I saw in a magazine and decided to serve it for Christmas.  So I took charge of the kitchen and of the cooking. 


First I prepared garlic bread instead of pretzels.  Here is my simple recipe for awesome garlic bread.




1. Prepare lots of minced garlic.
2. Heat about 1/4 cup of butter in a pan.
3. Add the minced garlic.  Cook it for about 3 minutes.  Make sure to not brown the garlic since it will taste bitter.  Set aside.
4. Grate some queso de bola.
5. Spread the butter (garlic and all) over some baguette (we bought it from French Baker).  Top with grated cheese.
6. Cook inside an oven toaster.


Finished product :P

Next stop, mashed potatoes.

1. Make sure to wash the potatoes thoroughly.
2. Place in a pot.  Boil until tender.
3. Mash the cooked potatoes with skin in a large bowl.
4. Add butter while the potatoes are still hot.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. You may opt to add fresh milk to make it creamier.



The veggies are the ones that you can buy frozen in the supermarket.  I just sauted it in butter and garlic.  For Germans, they serve sauerkraut.  I don't know how it tastes like but I'm scared to try. :P
As for the gravy, I used McCormick.  Just add hot water and it's good to go.

Maybe you're thinking, what makes this dish German?  Well, it's the sausage.  I tried schublig which can be bought at Rustan's supermarket.  


I cooked it on a stove top grill instead of frying.  

I got so inspired while cooking (watching Junior Master Chef helped a lot), that I even plated the food.  

Tada!

Now, I'm excited for New Year's eve.  What to prepare next?

Happy eating everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...